Mount Gower – Peak #6

I was able to get to an early start today, after a nice upper body workout with Joe Decker at Gut Check Fitness. I arrived at the trailhead at about 8AM and got started. I encountered some friendly locals on the trail walking their dogs early in the morning and no one else the entire day. It was my highest San Diego peak so far and it presented quite a challenge.

One of the many juvenile horned lizards I saw scurrying off the trail ahead of me

The only things that kept me company were the many young horned lizards that scurried off the trail, the countless rabbits, squirrels and birds, and the friendly shape of a mylar Hello Kitty balloon that I found snagged on some sage brush just off the trail. She joined me on the summit. See if you can spot her in the video.

I saw plently of coyote or mountain lion scat all over the place. Since I was hiking cross-country for a large portion of the journey, the going was slow. It was, however, nice to feel like I was the only person who had trekked across that area. The only tracks I saw were of the four-footed variety.

Pockets of fog still hugged the low areas as I began my ascent

Pockets of fog still hugged the low areas as I began my ascent

Due to the excessive bushwhacking, I didn’t return to the trailhead until around 4PM. It was a long, hot, and dry day, but the view and feeling of wilderness was incredible.

Interesting Rock Formations near Mount Gower

Interesting Rock Formations near Mount Gower

View of Middle Peak, Cuyamaca Peak and Mount Gower from the false Mount Gower

View of Middle Peak, Cuyamaca Peak and Mount Gower from the false Mount Gower

Snake Bones found on false Mount Gower

Snake Bones found on false Mount Gower

View from peak often mistaken as Mount Gower

View from peak often mistaken as Mount Gower

Indianhead, San Vicente Mountain and El Cajon Mountain from false Mount Gower

Indianhead, San Vicente Mountain and El Cajon Mountain from false Mount Gower

Comments

I like the blog a lot. I’ll be following you on your journeys, perhaps even join you as I need to get a lot of peaks down there in San Diego.

Thanks for the kind words. My back is at 85% now (I injured it a little). I will be doing group hikes later on in my travels. I am eager to get back out on the trail once my back nears %100. Like my wife says. 94 peaks to go!

3. Dave says

Did you happen to map how you got to the tip top summit, been there and could not find a trial to summit on. spent some time roaming around, found a bobcat or something and headed back. there is not a defined trail and need some help. want to see that view.

thanks

I am pretty sure I did for the most part, I will look into that GPS track (It may have run out of battery) and see what I have. I got a little turned around on the way back, but will manually create what I believe is the best way.

5. nenita says

thanks so much Derek for creating this blog. This has been an excellent guide at finding more trails to explore in San Diego. I have alltrails app in my phone but I find your blog more informative sometimes. I like how you include the MAPS and I love the videos. I just wish you also mention how to get to the trail head since that’s mostly what I have trouble with. Again, thank ever so much for creating this. I still have a lot more to explore using your blog and I sincerely appreciate the time and effort you put in. Great job and more power to you.

About Mt. Gower, beautiful trail and indeed there are splits and unsure which trail to follow since it’s unmarked but I guess all you have to do is follow the Water Tank at the ridge after the teepee rocks. Godd luck and enjoy the breeze!!!

Nenita,

There are links to the trailhead on many of the hikes, from there you can type in your starting address and find the way.

If this isn’t working for you, please let me know and I will try to find a better way.

Thanks for reading.

7. adventureswithaugust says

We would love to join you one of these days. I love finding new hiking spots…I go hiking around San Diego with my little 10 month old on my back :)